Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Looking at Kingsbury Through a Lens

Today was a road trip day. I was planning on driving toward Bastrop, since there is a massive fire that has burned thousands and thousands of acres and hundreds of homes, and since the smoke smell has travelled over 60 miles to Seguin. That was my plan. 

However, as I began to drive through Kingsbury, I decided to stop and take a few photos of the old main street buildings. I hadn't taken more than a couple of shots before a car pulled up beside me. 

That is when I met Margaret Taylor. She has lived in Kingsbury all her life. Margaret invited me to her home, which was just down the road, where she had a whole notebook filled with old photographs of the people and the buildings of Kingsbury, going back over one hundred years. Thanks, Margaret, for making your town come alive for me. 




Here are several of the original buildings that make up the old part of town. The building to the far right was a bar that served food. Left of it is Halms' Red and White Grocery Store, and then a meat market and there was a lumber/hardware store, and finally, on the end, was a stage depot. I think I have that right, but I will have to reconfirm that before I will be sure.

Here is a close up of the Red and White store. You can still see remnants of the red and white trimming which edges the porch.



Here is the Railway Saloon, open for business, at the west end of the street...

and the old post office, at the east end of the street.

Margaret graciously made me a copy of one of her old photos of the main street, and you can see the pointed roof of the building which has the buggy parked in front. Looking up at the first photo in this blog, you can spot the same building with a pick up parked out front. Times have changed, haven't they? If you look in the bottom left of this old photo, you can see an old Barnum and Bailey sign.   I look forward to posting more photos from my day trip along with a little of the history of this charming town.

No comments:

Post a Comment