Saturday, October 26, 2013

Inside the Magnolia Hotel

I would like to say thank you to Erin Wallace and her husband for purchasing the derelict Magnolia Hotel. Several times, I have photographed the exterior during my walks around downtown because it has a charm even in it's disrepair. Now, thanks for the new owners, it is receiving some much needed TLC.

Today, Erin opened up three rooms of the hotel for a garage sale. I took my camera with me, and she graciously allowed me to take photos of those rooms.  It seems like quite a few folks are interested in the old hotel, and several photographers have taken a shot at capturing the character of the place. Every photographer has their own style and their own interests, so each set of photos has a different flavor.

Here are a few of my shots, reflecting some of my passions. For instance, I love old kitchens and I am crazy about old sinks. 

I also love the useful little built-ins you find in the older buildings. Look at the detail in this telephone nook.

Wow, look at this mannequin standing by herself in a closet alcove. Her blue eyes seemed to speak to me without a word being uttered. 

Here are doors and more doors.

The walls are not restored yet, so there is quite a bit of character in the patterns found in some of the rooms. These suitcases and the lamp were part of the garage sale goodies, and if I had more space, I might have grabbed them. Instead, I just took a photo of them.


Finally, here is a dramatic shot of one of the tall windows with the old blinds still in place.  I am so pleased that this old house is getting the attention it deserves after so many years of neglect. 


No comments:

Post a Comment