Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Texas Gets to See Matisse Up Close and Personal



Three artists spent a wonderful morning admiring the San Antonio Museum of Art's special show of a large collection of Henri Matisse's work. They enjoyed having the opportunity to study a great master's work up close, being able to see brush strokes and thickness of paint as well. It was also interesting to see the scale of the different works.

Matisse began to paint in oils in 1889 after an attack of appendicitis. While he was recovering, his mother bought him some paints. He later said,  “From the moment I held the box of colors in my hands, I knew this was my life. I threw myself into it like a beast that plunges towards the thing it loves.” His mother gave him some good advice. She told him not to follow traditional rules of art. Instead, she suggested he listen to his emotions.

Her advice speaks to the author of this blog, too, since I have a strong adversion to being bound by rules, conventions and traditions. 

For my readers who have an interest in art, here are a few of the paintings which I especially admired, along with some close-ups so you, too, can get a better sense of Matisse's brush strokes and colors. 



BALLET DANCER SEATED ON A STOOL
1927






WOMAN IN STRIPED PULLOVER, VIOLIN ON THE TABLE
1921 or 1922





WOMAN IN RED CHAIR
1936




STILL LIFE, COMPOTE, APPLES, AND ORANGES
1899





No comments:

Post a Comment