Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Finding a Quiet Place in the Midst of the Suburban Sprawl


Central Texas is a mixture of large farms, wide open fields, small towns and big cities. Most of the wide open fields are enclosed by some sort of barb wire fencing, so you can see the beautiful, wild landscape, but you can't walk or hike through it.

I live in Seguin, which is a town of around 30,000 people. There are planned subdivisions filled with tract housing,  there are the old houses built around the center of town, and there are larger tracts of land (anywhere from half an acre to several hundred acres) surrounding the town where people live and farm or ranch.

I do not own my own little ranch or plot of land in the country, so I have searched during my photographic ramblings for accessible sites to enjoy the peace and quiet of nature.

This little pond, or "tank" as it is called in Texas, is right in the city limits of Seguin, but hidden from view behind a very tiny subdivision. The developer of the subdivision came across me photographing some butterflies a couple of summers ago, and he graciously invited me to visit this little pond on his property.

I do not visit very often, and generally it is very early in the morning. I am thankful for this beautiful pond and for the kindness of a stranger, giving me permission to enjoy the solitude and peace to be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment