Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lunch at Blakes Cafe...McQueeney, Texas


Blake's Cafe is a great restaurant in McQueeney, Texas, which is not far from my home base of Seguin, so my husband and I had lunch there with a group of family and friends, today. I thought that some of my regular visitors might like to see the inside of a wonderfully quirky Texas diner, so I took my camera with me.



I have to apologize because I did not read the menu, which includes a detailed history of the building which is now Blake's Cafe. I was too busy visiting. I do remember from previous visits that the building, which was built around 1900 or so, has served as several different kinds of business, so look for another post in the future with the history info as a follow up to today's post.


Meanwhile, look around at the inside of the cafe. Don't you love the decor? The blue sail fish has been hanging on the wall as long as I can remember. In the upper right of the frame, you can see a Shiner Bock advertisement. Shiner beer is brewed in Shiner, Texas, which is about 60 miles southeast of McQueeney.

 The bar fills one whole side of the cafe, and the deep, dark patina of the wood testifies to the age of the bar. It has been there for a long time. I love the vintage chandelier, but if you look above it, you can see the lighted Budweiser clock. On the counter, there are two pitchers of sweet tea, one on each side so that the servers can grab the tea on the run and refill the diners' glasses. Sweet tea is iced tea that is superloaded with sugar. Texans love the drink.

 Our server, Melissa, took really good care of our wild and crazy group. She was kind enough to allow me to take her picture as she worked. I hope she had a very good day.

By the way, the food at Blakes' Cafe is awesome, so if you ever get to visit Seguin or McQueeney, I recommend you stop in and have a meal.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nan please come out and see me. I am next door to the Grain Bin north of Geronimo https://www.facebook.com/HighLonesomeGallery

    thanks Parker

    ReplyDelete