Thursday, May 17, 2012

I Spy....One Last Look Out the Train Window

When I packed for my train trip, which was supposed to last for about five and a half hours, I took my Bible, my crossword puzzles and my camera. I wasn't sure what I would feel like doing to pass the time, so I wanted to be prepared. 

Once the train started its run, however, I could not take my eyes away from the ever-changing view. It was kind of like a treasure hunt, for I never knew what would pass in front of the window in the next few seconds. I held my camera up for a while, snapping a few pictures, then I would put it down, only to discover I missed something even better....

So, by the end of the 300 mile trip from Fort Worth to San Marcos, I took almost 400 pictures. After narrowing down the choices, I still ended up with too many to share, so I finally decided on about 40 or so, in other words, about 1 out of every 10 that I took!

Here are the last of them with just a few comments about why I like these above the other 350 or so...


The Temple train station was by far the most interesting. They have a "collection" of old trains on display (if you can call a bunch of trains a collection). We were told repeatedly not to venture beyond the fence, but as you can see, not everyone followed that injunction.

Ok...I adore red barns!

For all you farmers out there, I included a few shots of the crops that have been planted. However, I don't know what they are...sorry about that.


This is one of the very small towns we passed. Often, the main street is the only street.

The train travelled through many farming communities. Grain silos abound.

This lone chimney stood among piles of bricks and lumber.

Now, here's a shot that just made me smile. It has everything...a little church, clothes hanging on a line to dry, a couple of old pick up trucks, a tiny camper, and a man grilling on a large barbeque grill.

A lot of the roads in rural Texas are just dirt and caliche, like this one. In the dry summer months, cars kick up trails of white dust as they pass.

Here's one of the microwave towers that allow us to talk on our cell phones wherever we go.

And here's another farm. This farmhouse reminds me of my own little cottage. My house has a different style roof, but the layout looks very similar.

Miles and miles of wire cross Texas, carrying power to all the cities and towns.

Football is a big deal in Texas. Here is a football stadium. I think it is for a high school, but I am not sure.

A bale of hay, a windmill and a mobile home...home, sweet home for some lucky family.

On a grander scale, here is a two story farm house with a big rig sitting in the driveway.

There is some major highway construction going on in Texas, including a new north/south highway to relieve some of the congestion on Interstate 35. Here, ground has been cleared, pipes are waiting to be put in place, and a tanker of who knows what is resting on supports about 15 feet in the air.

During the hot summer months, I am sure this community pool will be filled with kids.

I am not sure, but I think this is a concrete plant.

As we approached Austin, the landscape changed dramatically. This is a very upscale parking garage.

But this is a very downscale junk yard. In the background, you can see some of Austin's taller buildings.

We passed so close to this building that I could not even get it all in frame.

Finally, outside Kyle, I saw this lone red boat parked in a storage facility...a fitting end to my collection of train trip pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment