Monday, May 7, 2012

On Track Arts... and Other Odds and Ends

Today, we are going to get a glimpse into one of the many antique-collectibles-odds and ends shops that can be found throughout the state of Texas. This particular shop is located in the small town of Harwood, which is about an hour southeast of Austin, and about two hours northeast of San Antonio.

Founded in 1874 next to the Southern Pacific rail lines, the town grew in population and by 1892, it boasted a population of about 350 people. Harwood shipped cattle, cotton and firewood during its heyday, but since the late 1800s, the resident population has shrunk considerably. Now, there are about 100 people who call Harwood home. 

Highway 90 runs right through the middle of town, with the train tracks just feet away from the road. As you can see from the view looking south, there is not a lot to the town anymore.


Looking to the north, you can't see much more....


You may wonder why I made a visit to Harwood. Well, I am a member of the Seguin Oakwood Art League, and through my involvement in this organization, I met Hal Shipley, a stained glass artisan. He does wonderful work, lots of it with a Texas flair, and he told me about his shop in Harwood. Appropriately enough, he calls his shop "On Track Arts". It is one of three main buildings on the main street of Harwood.  He invited me to check out all the items he and his partner have accumulated over the years, so I stopped in after my mother and I spent time at the Rosanky yard sale.


This is Hal.
Hal told me he has been picking up odds and ends for years and years.  I love odds and ends... Here are some of the neat things I spotted in his shop...
 an owl, a well-worn ironing board, some colored cowboy boots....


 an elegant green sofa...
 a serene black cat...
 a turquoise desk and a painted bunny,
a bust of Homer (or some eyeless bearded man, along with a wonderful Donald Duck print...

a cocker spaniel (who is also a bank) in need of a good home,

 a treadle sewing machine, a game board, a dainty apron which looks to dressy to ever be used in my kitchen, an eagle,


and last, but definitely not least, a life-size statue of a black and white Dalmatian.

No comments:

Post a Comment