Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Finding an Indian Blanket During the Texas Wildflower Season




Here are a couple of photos of the red and yellow Indian Blanket. I haven't seen hardly any in the fields and meadows yet, but I expect that more will bloom in the days to come. 

 As I have been driving along the central Texas highways and byways, I have thoroughly enjoyed the masses and masses of wildflowers that have bloomed this spring. We have been in the most terrible drought in living history, so last year, there were no flowers at all. There was hardly any grass, in fact.

Praise the Lord, Texas finally started to get some rain this fall, and by spring, we can almost forget the months and months of drought. This spring we are not taking the blooms for granted.

I hope you have been enjoying the different flowers I have been posting. Today, I am featuring  the red and yellow Indian Blanket (Gaillardia pulchella). Once again, we get to look at another state's official state flower. The Indian Blanket is the state wildflower of Oklahoma. There are a couple of other names it goes by, the firewheel and the blanket flower.

Here is one of the fields I passed today. I love the rustic cedar fencing and the old and gnarled live oak tree.




No comments:

Post a Comment