Saturday, March 24, 2012

Springtime in Texas and Prickly Poppies


The prickly poppy (Argemone albiflora) stands around 3 to 5 feet tall and blooms in the spring time, along with the bluebonnets and indian paintbrush, and a host of other colorful flowers. The blindingly white bloom of the poppy grabs a person's attention, but it is hard to get too close to the flowers due to the stinging thorns that line the stems and leaves of the plant.

I took these photographs in the field in front of the home of some dear friends of mine, just south of Seguin off Highway 123. Their property has one of the nicest displays of wildflowers every year, so I make it a point to head there when I am out taking pictures. Sandra, the lady who lives there, came out to visit with me as I took pictures, and when we finished, I headed back to my truck, which was parked next to a power pole that was surrounded by these flowers. I got closer and closer to get the right shot, and almost leaned right into one of the plants. Luckily, I payed attention while shooting, and avoided getting stung by the hairy bristlly thorns.

No comments:

Post a Comment