Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The Mockingbirds Move In

Meet my new tenants.  With tenacity and determination, Mr. and Mrs. Mockingbird have decided to build a nest on top of the shabby chic bird cage that hangs from my porch roof. 
Richard dislodged the beginnings of a nest more than once, but they kept re-building, so I let them stay. 

However, since they lodge in my bird feeder free of charge, I expect something in return. Yesterday, I began to collect my due. And they were not happy. They squawked at me, and flew close in a dive bombing maneuver, but in the end, they just sat on the branches of the pecan tree and fussed. 




You see, they have three tiny hatchings to protect. Yes, three beautiful, hungry baby mockingbirds are hiding inside the twiggy nest inside the top of this bird feeder.

I know, because Richard got out our step ladder and I climbed up to take a peek. 
The momma and daddy were not too happy, but I did not look for very long. Here they are, three tiny little hatchlings, with their mouths wide open, hoping for some dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment