Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Setting Sun and the Pierdolla Ranch Gate


It is hot, though not unbearably so. No breeze stirs the grasses. It is a typical evening in late summer and I am crouched on the side of a farm road, watching the sun set. There isn't much to use as a focal point for my sunset picture on this farm road....a few modern homes which would blend in if constructed in many a suburban housing development, just a few windmills, but they are too close to power lines or trees which block the setting sun, and lots and lots of open field. So, as I spy this gate, festooned with red, white and blue bunting, I decide that this is where I will watch for the moment when the sun is almost ready to slip below the horizon.

Texas has miles and miles of farm roads similar to this one. The open space is so refreshing and soothing. Crouching on the side of one such road at sunset, with camera in hand, I smile and rejoice in the ending of another fine day.


No comments:

Post a Comment