Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Big-Eye Beetle Discovery

There are a bazillion kinds of beetles in the world. Having said that, I think I have discovered a new type of beetle. I am calling it the Big-Eye beetle. After spending quite a bit of time (maybe five whole minutes) searching sites on the internet, which we all know is the ultimate research tool, and not finding any beetle resembling this guy, I conclude it is probably a newly discovered species.  (Please note my disclaimer...I did say "probably".) Oh well, enough with the scientific talk. Let's take a look at the bug that caught my eye, this Big-Eye Beetle!

He was walking on my concrete porch step and I stepped over him as I came out the door. Of course, I was not satisfied photographing him on the ugly concrete step, so I went back into the house and got a pair of tongs out of the kitchen. Then, I picked him up and put him on a more attractive rock in my garden.

That's when he decided to pretend to be an ornamental garden decoration instead of a bug. He pulled his antennae underneath him, hid all his legs and he just lay there, his big "eyes" staring at me blankly. He wasn't much fun, and there are only so many photos you can take of an very still decoration. 

That's when I just took my camera and left him all alone. I went back several times in the next few minutes and looked at him, but he still hadn't moved. Not a muscle, not a twitch. 



Finally, after he thought he had gotten all he could out of his disguise, and after I left him alone long enough, he popped his antennae back in place, stretched out his legs and began to move.

I watched him crawl to the edge of the pretty rock where I had placed him. He looked over the edge, and calmly crawled down the side, back to the dirt below. Now you know how I spend my time when I am really bored, and you know how little it takes to grab my attention. All it takes is one bug. Good grief!

No comments:

Post a Comment