Thursday, July 21, 2011

No, It's Not Snow and It's Not Raining...The Cardinal Takes a Bath

I have noticed that when the sprinkler sits where the spray hits the branches of a bush or tree, the birds gather for a shower session. This juvenile male cardinal was a little shy, so I could not get as close as I would have liked to watch him clean himself. When I moved up closer, he would fly away, only to return as I backed off.

When I left him alone to take care of  his grooming, he would fluff his feathers, ruffle them, peck and pull at them as he sat in the spray of water hitting the branches.

When he finally felt clean enough, he found a branch in the sunshine to perch on. There he sat, with ruffled and mussed feathers. I assume he finally let his feathers settle, though I did not wait around while he dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment