Saturday, June 25, 2011

Seguin Landmarks...Saffold Dam

One of the picturesque landmarks of Seguin is Saffold Dam, located near where Austin Street crosses the Guadalupe River. The orange-red brick of the dam reflects beautifully in the river on a sunny day and the sparkling water, as it rushes over the dam provides a stunning accent to the scenic spot.

Despite it's idyllic beauty, I have a hard time capturing what I see when I photograph it.  For some reason, the colors never come out as true, the light is never just right, or the building is crooked...you name it, I find something not to like in my photo. 

Nonetheless, I keep trying. This is yesterday's attempt to photograph the dam. 

Notice the two ducks at the edge of the waterfall? They add just a touch of interest to the scene. The mallard even stood tall and displayed his beautiful colors while drying his wings.





At the bottom of the dam, there is a great fishing site, though fishing is officially banned from that area. That doesn't stop everyone from fishing there, though. It is not unusually to spot someone in waders from venturing below the rocks, and I have spotted folks with little coolers sitting in the shade of these  trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment