Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rain Lilies...No Worry Here


Cooperia drummondii Herbert
Evening rain lily, Evening star rain lily


I am so glad that God, in his infinite wisdom and matchless love, created a world of beauty and elegance. Some folks have a "green thumb" and create lovely gardens filled with beautiful blooms, but I generally rely on the wild flowers for my garden. Rain Lilies are one such bloom that pops up in my yard every so often, usually after it rains (hence the name 'rain lily') or after I have watered heavily.

You have probably seen them also, if you live in central Texas. They grow wild in fields and yards, but only when they have lots of water. So, in this drought, they are kind of scarce.

This variety of lily usually lasts between 2 to 4 days, turning a soft pink before it withers and disappears. It was named after a Scottish explorer and naturalist who travelled throughout America in the early  1800's. In 1830, he arrived in Velasco, Texas and began collecting plants. For almost two years, he travelled between Galveston Island, the Edwards Plateau, and along the Brazos, Colorado and Guadalupe Rivers.

When times are tough, or something weighs heavy on my mind, I remember the words of Jesus in Luke 12:27:
Consider the lilies how they grow: 
they toil not, they spin not; 
and yet I say unto you, 
that Solomon in all his glory 
was not arrayed like one of these.








No comments:

Post a Comment