Friday, April 15, 2011

Bandera Windmill


Driving down Highway 16, I spotted this windmill and Richard pulled through a entrance way to some sort of church retreat and conference center. We could see a hugh parking lot to the right, and another entrance which passed two beautiful shallow ponds, winding up the road to the windmill, then to a picnic area, then up a hill to a stone house. I was really looking forward to taking some pictures, but as we drove up to the windmill, it was beginning to look like a private property, even though the entrance gate to the main area proclaimed the area a public space. So, we drove up the winding road to the top of the hill where the house was located (can you see the roof in the upper left of the frame?) we decided to turn around so we could leave the premises.

We turned around at the top of the hill, probably in someone's driveway, drove past the picnic area, past the windmill, past the two ponds, (did I mention they had the cutest realistic looking fake swans floating in the ponds, two black swans in one pool and two white swans in the other?) and I so wanted to stop, but I had Richard pull back onto the public right of way. I got out and walked outside the fence to take some shots of the windmill.

I hadn't taken three or four shots before a lady driving a Mercedes came tearing down the hill to stop and roll down her window and holler out across the field at me. Actually, she was very polite, asking me if she could help me, you know, like wanting to know what I was doing. I smiled, and told her that I originally thought the windmill was on public property, but as soon as we pulled in, we could tell it was private, and I apologized. She was very gracious, but I can tell you, I was so glad I had resisted the temptation to take a few shots of the ponds, for then I would have really been in trouble....

So now, you have a pretty good idea of how far I will go to get a shot. Just about as far as I can, without really breaking any rules.

It sure is a beautiful windmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment