Thursday, April 28, 2011

Meet the European Starling Family

 I love to watch the birds that fly into my yard. If they stop long enough, I get out my camera and start taking pictures....I noticed that this guy loves to perch on the dead pecan tree which I can see when I look out my large kitchen window. Isn't he gorgeous? He's a European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris), a type of songbird that was introduced to North America in the nineteenth century.
It dawned on me that he was making a lot of trips to the tree, then disappearing on the other side. So, I went outside to see what was on the other side of the tree. This is what I found.  A hole....Ahhhhh....there must be a nest!

So, I started watching closer, and sure enough, the starling came back with baby food.
However, he was NOT happy that I was standing so close to his nest. See how ruffled his feathers are? None the less, he went inside and fed his babies.





When he came back out, which was just a matter of seconds after he went into the hole in the tree, he was really peeved. I mean, mad. Can you tell???


In fact, I was kind of concerned that he might dive-bomb me or something violent like that. He made such a ruckus, hissing at me and posturing, but thankfully, he didn't actually attack. He and his mate made many, many trips to the tree, fussing at me each time I stood by the tree, yet they continued to feed their babies. I finally went back into the house. 

Later on, I went back out, and this is what I spotted....


 It won't be long, and baby is going to want to fly...I hope I get to see that happen!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you! Isn't it sweet that the nest is in the shape of a heart? How much better can you get, huh?

    ReplyDelete