Thursday, January 10, 2013

Finding Beauty in a Winter Shower

As a heavy rain began to fall in the mid-morning hours of Seguin, I sat on my front porch with my camera. First, please notice that the rain drops are so heavy, you can see individual drops falling from the sky. Isn't that a wonderful kind of rain? Second, note the red sidewalk. It is a concrete sidewalk that was stained a beautiful red, many, many years ago, possibly even decades ago, for all I know. When I first saw this house and the red sidewalk and porch, I thought, how ugly. I wonder if I can change that somehow. Now, though, I appreciate the patina and color, especially when the rain hits it.



Look at the force of the rain drops as they hit the streaming water in the street. The violence caused volcanic-like explosions on a micro scale. Once again, a wonderful sight to behold.


So, as I sat on my red front porch railed by black wrought iron fencing, I noticed the pattern the reflected railing made on the wet concrete. Sometimes, it is fun just to take abstract kind of photos, more of a work of art than anything else. I love how this one turned out. See the turquoise which shows in spots, where the red stain has faded? Whew, to think I almost  painted over it. No, don't let that happen!


Finally, here is a shot of the red sidewalk, with the crepe myrtle trees across the street reflected in long skinny lines on the wet surface. Beauty is everywhere. You just need to make sure you are looking for it. 







1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha. In Texas, rain makes any thing and any place beautiful. Nice work to capture some of that.

    ReplyDelete