Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Resting Forever on a Quiet Hilltop


Texas is a very big state. There are vast emptly flatlands with miles of straight road. There are mountains and deserts, rich farmland and beautiful coastlines. There are cities with populations over the one million mark, and there are tiny little hamlets with houses scattered, miles apart. 

This is a little farmland hilltop, between Seguin and San Marcos. There are no stores or schools, and a mix of farms and small properties. This little white church with it's peaceful, quiet cemetery, is located on Wade Road, which can be missed when travelling down Farm Road 20 if a person is not aware of it's location.



I first spotted this church as I travelled FM20, many, many years ago. I have taken photos of the church over the course of the years. My favorite time of day is dusk, because there is a clear view to the horizon as the sun sets.

If you are curious about tiny cemeteries, here are some photos of the Clearview Baptist Church and it's cemetery. Some of the markers are so old, you cannot read the chisled names or dates. Others are so fresh, the mound of dirt has not even settled.


This is the kind of place I would choose for my body's final resting place.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nan Kissiar, I'm Adrian Duque. I believe you met my best friend, David, earlier today on a train. David forwarded me your URL so that I could view your blog. Your work is amazing, especially your skyscapes!I enjoyed viewing your blog today and will definitely be back soon! I hope you are having a great day. Take care and God bless. -Adrian Duque

    ReplyDelete