Saturday, January 26, 2013

Raw Power...The Stark Beauty of Power Lines


This post is for those who appreciate the beauty of geometry. Lines, angles and curves in an ordered, structured arrangement. I find the geometric order of power lines receding into the distance a challenge to photograph in an effort to capture something worthy to be called art. 

Power line photography is an iffy thing, for almost always, the photographer (me, for instance) is travelling in a vehicle. The power lines appear in the viewfinder and are gone in a matter of seconds. Framing them is a challenge, to say the least. The results are mostly serendipitous and haphazardly successful. Here are some of my latest power line shots.



Sometimes, I imagine that the towering structures are alien creatures ready to fight for the control of the farmland they are planted on.

 I see arms and pinchers poised to break free of the binding cords which hold them captive.

Then again, maybe I am just a bit fanciful....see? They are just poles and cables, after all.


Ahh, but when viewed up close at just the right angle, the menacing transformer type alien is once again evident. 
 Seriously, though, I do love the stark and complex mix of lines and angles in blacks, silvers and rust colors framed by a deep blue sky. There are many kinds of beauty, and to me, power lines have their own charm and fascination.


No comments:

Post a Comment