Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Mom's Favorite Recipes...Happy Mother's Day


Here's my mom....she raised my four brothers, my sister and me as the wife of a lowly staff sargeant, a mere four striper in the Air Force. I look back now, and wonder how she did it, for we always had clean clothes and well-cooked meals. Her floors were waxed to a shine that reflected like a mirror. She joked that they were clean enough to eat off, and she was probably right. 

We always brown-bagged it for lunch at school, my brothers, my sister and me. I envied the kids who got to go through the lunch line, with their trays filled with cafeteria food. Now, however, I realize how blessed I truly was, for my mother always made cookies for our lunches. We each got four, that was the magic number. There was a sandwich, some chips, and four fresh, home-made cookies every day. 

Once or twice, mom has told us that we didn't have any bread in the house, so she made fresh bread for our sandwiches....yumm! Of course, at the time, we didn't appreciate it. We wanted store bought bread and hoped no one saw our thick slices of bread with the dark, hard crusts. 
Unbelievable, isn't it, that children don't always realize how good something is. 

Several years ago, I gathered photos, recipes and stories from my mom, and I put together a biography of sorts. I scanned her recipe cards, written in her own hand, covered with stains from all the times she used them. I can vouch for how delicious each recipe is. She used lots of short-hand, for she just needed the basics written down, so these might be kind of hard to follow. Mostly, I am just putting them in my blog because they are such treasures, just as they are, for I can sense my mother's love just by looking at them. 

Happy Mother's Day, Mom. You're the best!!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment