Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Starling Surprises



The baby starlings are really growing up. Remember the first photo, when all that was visible was just a tiny little beak outside the edge of the hole in the pecan tree? Well, the next day, there were two.  Today, they are pushing their limits as they reach and stretch and explore the world outside their cozy little home. Aren't they precious?

I got out my step stool so I could get just a little closer and continued to photograph the babies, when, lo and behold, look what I saw...


 There are THREE babies! I have been watching the little birds for several days, and I assumed there were only two, because that is all I ever saw. They must be getting crowded as they grow. The third one is not content to hide deep in the hollow of the nest, today. They are waiting for momma and daddy Starling. It has been a while since the last feeding.


Here's a fine, juicy bug for one of the babies. Delicious!


Here's a big, round berry for another baby.


And I can't believe the size of this pecan. The starling made several attempts to feed it to one of the babies, and finally, one of them swallowed it whole.

But the biggest surprise came as I watched a little longer....


One more baby popped it's head out of the nest. There four babies inside the little nest! No wonder momma and poppa are so busy!

What a fine family.

No comments:

Post a Comment